Coconut is a primary ingredient in various dishes. You can use coconut cream and cream of coconut to create a range of delicacies. There are some differences between the cream of coconut and coconut cream in terms of taste and texture.
In this article, we discuss the essential differences between coconut cream and cream of coconut, how to use cream of coconut, the top 10 lite coconut milk recipes, how to make coconut milk from coconut cream, and the list of coconut cream alternatives.
What is Cream of Coconut?
Cream of coconut is made from pureed coconut meat and sugar. Cream of coconut is thick, and the texture is similar to sweetened condensed milk. Cream of coconut is perfect for making desserts.
What is Coconut Cream?
Coconut cream is a thick cream made from coconut milk. Coconut cream is similar to heavy whipped cream. You can use coconut cream in preparing curries and smoothies.
Coconut Cream Vs. Cream of Coconut: The Essential Differences
The primary differences between coconut cream and cream of coconut are as follows:
- Sweetness: Cream of coconut is sweeter than coconut cream.
- Texture: Coconut cream is thinner than cream of coconut.
- Usage: Cream of coconut is used in baked foods and desserts. Coconut cream is used in savory dishes.
Are Coconut Milk and Coconut Cream the Same Thing?
Coconut cream and coconut milk are made from boiling water with coconut meat. The core difference between the two is dependent on concentration and consistency.
- Coconut Milk: Coconut milk is made from simmering one part of shredded coconut in one part water. Coconut milk is more liquid than coconut cream. Coconut milk is a primary ingredient in Thai curries.
- Coconut Cream: Coconut cream is thicker than coconut milk. You can simmer four parts shredded coconut in one part water to make coconut cream. The cream that then rises on top of coconut milk is considered coconut cream.
Does Coconut Milk Taste Like Coconut?
Coconut milk tastes like coconut. Thick and fatty coconut milk has a rich and creamy texture which produces a strong coconut flavor. Lite coconut milk tastes mildly like a coconut.
Does Coconut Milk Have Dairy?
Coconut milk is lactose-free and is not a dairy product. Coconut milk is derived from grated coconut meat which is a plant seed. Coconut milk is perfect for lactose-intolerant people who prefer a dairy-free diet.
How Can You Use Cream of Coconut?
You can use cream of coconut in desserts and cocktails. Cream of coconut is a primary ingredient in Pina Colada. If you wish to serve chilled Pina Coladas to your patrons, you will need high-quality commercial ice makers. Additionally, you can use cream of coconut for several dessert recipes. You can bake coconut cake and coconut pie with cream of coconut.
Top 10 Lite Coconut Milk Recipes
Lite coconut milk is healthier than regular coconut milk as it contains less fat and calories. Here are some delicious recipes you can make with lite coconut milk:
- Salmon And Coriander Coconut Milk Curry: You can prepare salmon fillets with basmati rice, sesame oil, turmeric, curry masala, curry powder, lite coconut milk, lemon, and fresh coriander. Additionally, you can use fish sauce, mushrooms, and asparagus to make this pure tropical delicacy.
- Coconut Milk Ice Cream: Coconut milk ice cream is famous worldwide. You can make coconut milk ice cream with light coconut milk, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extracts.
- Banana, Coconut Milk, And Oatmeal: Oatmeal, banana, and coconut milk is the perfect breakfast combo. You can use butter, salt, oats, toasted coconut, brown sugar, light coconut milk, and bananas. Many health-conscious patrons prefer honey over brown sugar.
- Coconut Milk Eggnog: You will need lite coconut milk, egg yolks, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Additionally, to make it more flavorful, you will need ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground allspice.
- Chocolate Coconut Milk Pudding: Kids love chocolate coconut milk pudding. You can prepare this delicacy with cornstarch, cold water, organic sugar, cocoa powder, salt, lite coconut milk, vanilla extract, and unsweetened almond milk. You can garnish the pudding with choco chips, shredded coconut, chocolate shavings, and chocolate sauce.
- Coconut Milk Creamed Spinach: You can prepare coconut milk creamed spinach with onion, garlic cloves, crushed red pepper, spinach, and lite coconut milk. Add salt and pepper, depending on your taste buds.
- Coconut Milk Mussels with Saffron: This is a delicious dish prepared with mussels, olive oil, garlic cloves, ginger, shallot, and bay leaves. Add saffron, lite coconut milk, tomato paste, low sodium veggie broth, kosher salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, parsley leaves, and crusty bread.
- Quinoa And Coconut Milk Pudding: Quinoa and coconut milk pudding is a healthy dessert that you can have after all three meals of the day. You can add quinoa, light coconut milk, pure maple syrup, vanilla extract, and whipped cream to prepare this tasty and healthy dessert.
- Hot Chocolate With Coconut Milk: Many love coconut milk hot chocolate. Its ingredients include coconut milk, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, dar chocolate chips, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, salt, whipped cream, and marshmallows.
- Coconut Milk Cupcakes And Coconut Buttercream Frosting: You can prepare delicious coconut milk cupcakes with lite coconut milk, all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, lite coconut milk, butter, egg, vanilla, and buttercream frosting. Additionally, you will need unsalted butter, salt, vanilla, and confectionery sugar.
How To Make Coconut Milk From Coconut Cream
You can make coconut milk from coconut cream concentrate and water. Here are some processes you can follow to make coconut milk from coconut cream:
Process One: First, pour the coconut cream and water into a blender and mix them thoroughly. Mix them until they are super-smooth. This process is perfect for obtaining coconut milk for baking.
Alternative Process: You can stir coconut cream in hot water until they dissolve together.
For beverages, you need to strain the coconut cream through a cheesecloth for coconut milk. The smoother texture is perfect for drinking.
A List of Coconut Cream Alternatives
Coconut cream is a byproduct of coconut, which is sweet and has a creamy texture. You can use coconut cream for baking desserts and various recipes. Here is a list of alternatives for coconut cream:
- Coconut Milk: You can blend the coconut with water for coconut milk. Coconut milk has lower fat content and calories than coconut cream.
- Cream of Coconut: Cream of coconut is thicker than coconut cream. You can substitute coconut cream with cream of coconut for various dishes. Cream of coconut is best suited for dishes that need whipped coconut cream.
- Greek Yogurt: You can also use Greek yogurt as a substitute for coconut cream. You can add cornstarch to the yogurt to make it more stable.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Heavy whipping cream is a great alternative to coconut cream. The fat content of heavy whipping cream is higher than coconut cream.
- Nut Butter: Nut butter is an excellent substitute for coconut cream for baked food items. Nut butter adds flavor and texture to cakes, desserts, and various dishes. Peanut butter, cashew butter, tahini, and hazelnut butter are perfect alternatives for coconut cream. While using nut butter, add some water and whip it until it blends smoothly.
There are some primary differences between coconut products. All coconut products are a perfect alternative to dairy and provide a rich coconut flavor. Coconut cream and cream of coconut can enhance your cooking and baking. You can create delicious curries, puddings, cakes, and various dishes with coconut products. Additionally, you can browse through commercial refrigerator reviews, commercial freezer reviews, and ice machine reviews to choose the best products that can extend the storage time of your coconut products.